Friday, January 13, 2012

::Going Green::

Over the years we have been hearing more and more about how to be good to our environment and how to become eco-friendly.  I recently discovered that on "each one of the 2.5 million weddings this year in the United States will produce an average of 63 tons of carbon dioxide and 400-600 lbs of garbage."  For what's supposed to be the most beautiful day of your life, that sure is a lot of ugly damage being done to our earth wouldn't you agree?  


Well, about a week ago while scouring my twitter timeline I came across a dress designer by the name of Chrissy Wai-Ching. I decided to click on the link to her website www.wai-ching.com  and my mouth fell to the floor when I saw her gowns.  I mean, these designs are fascinating and I have never seen any thing like them before.  They are not your typical bleached white wedding gown!  They are sexy, elegant, and they pop with color...LITERALLY.  With further research on her site I discovered that her dresses are eco-friendly as well, and you can't get any better than that.  This inclined me to call Chrissy personally just so I could learn more.  She was more than happy to talk to me and explained  how her dresses created  a tiny carbon footprint.  Her gowns are created from organic silk or hemp and are hand-dyed using all natural dyes.  The Zolotova dress (the gowns that are featured below) are a collaged style created from salvaged pieces of other dresses that would have otherwise been disposed.  And, while most gowns are are shipped across the globe these are created right at her design studio in Seattle.  Here's the kick, she doesn't only feature wedding gowns, but she also sells evening gowns and dresses (think about bridesmaids or a wardrobe switch during the reception), kimonos (staying true to her Chinese heritage), shawls, ring bearer pillows, and ties for the groom.  









These gowns are sure to wow your guests and will definitely have them talking well past the last dance.  I've been married for 2 and half years now, and if I would have found these gowns back then I think I would have been the bride who says "This is the dress!" and cried at my first fitting.


--Happy Gown Hunting....Go Green


Lauren  
statistics courtesy of: Green Bride Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment